Friday, October 16, 2009

Long time shelter worker

I started volunteering at my local animal shelter in 1996.  I had recently moved to this small town and I went to the shelter for the first time after I had picked up a stray dog.  (This particular stray didn't get to the shelter as I found the owner on my own while driving down some of the streets).  The animal shelter advertised their monthly meetings in the local paper and I decided to go and check things out.  At the meeting I was introduced to a women who came to the shelter everyday on her lunch hour and walked dogs.  I worked pretty close to the shelter so decided to try it.  I became an addict.  Unfortunatly at the time, the shelter was a pretty high kill shelter.  Oddly, that didn't keep me away.  As I walked the dogs my mind continually went thru ways to change this.  It was heartbreaking but the little faces of these incredible creatures and the joy in their eyes at my presence, kept me coming back.  I felt that even though I couldn't change the big picture, I could add some joy into their lives while they were there.  So many people had to walk away.  Now, almost 15 years later I don't regret my decision to get involved.  My involvement helped to change it to a no kill.  Unfortunately, that seems to be a very thin thread we are all hanging by.  New board members can change things with one vote.  It seems like I have to be forever vigil to protect the animals that come my way, as well as the ones that could wind up not having anywhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment